Everyone as they get older will experience the effects of aging. The process often manifests in your skin, as your once smooth, soft and supple features becomes wrinkled, dry and sagging. In both women and men, outside elements affect the natural aging process. but for women, the decline in physiological factors are also contributors to aging skin. This often leaves men and women alike searching for answers as to how to prevent wrinkles.
The skin’s production of elastin, collagen, and hyaluronic acid (HA) keep the skin healthy. Yet between the natural aging process and environmental conditions, the skin loses its ability to produce these proteins effectively. The result is wrinkled, thin, and more fragile skin as the epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous skin layers are negatively affected.
Let’s explore causes, effects, and how to prevent wrinkles to keep your skin looking its best as you age.
The Causes of Facial Aging
Facial aging has several causes; both internal and external, as well as age-related and environmental. The internal or age-related causes are genetic, resulting from hormonal changes as well as a decline of cellular function and structure. Internally, the production of elastin, collagen, and hyaluronic acid decreases; which leads to:
- Visible fine lines
- Dry skin
- Drooping eyelids
- Hollow cheeks.
Genetics also plays a role. The external, or environmental causes include:
- Sun damage
- Poor hydration
- Poor diet
Environmental factors appear as blemishes, wrinkles, changes in pigmentation, and roughening of the skin.
The Visible Effects of Facial Aging
Beginning around 20 years of age, fine lines and wrinkles start to form as the body starts delivering one percent less collagen to the dermis annually. While one percent sounds minor, as it compounds yearly it can have a profound visible effect on the appearance of your skin.
Frown lines are seen on the forehead as wrinkles, and fine lines manifest on the rest of your face. The cause is the decreased production of collagen, as well as elastin, which both keep skin flexible, elastic, smooth and supple.
At 40 years of age, lines and wrinkles grow deeper as cheeks and eyes begin to appear more hollow, and jowls appear as well. Why? In the body, nearly 50 percent of your body’s hyaluronic acid is found in the epidermis and subcutaneous layers of the skin. It’s role is to ensure cell growth and reproduction, retaining moisture and lubricating the body’s moving parts, while keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized.
In the years that follow, the visible effects of facial aging grow more evident, but there are ways to slow the process.
Tips for Healthy, Beautiful Skin as You Age
Your skin is a reflection of your overall health, inside and out. Though anti-wrinkle and anti-aging treatments have existed since the dawn of time, there is no magic potion or formula that acts as the end-all for how to prevent wrinkles.
Even so, there are a number of ways to help you maintain youthful skin and stay healthy as you age. In fact, developing healthy habits, including the proper care of your skin, is a great way to avoid fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin.
As you age, you no doubt notice the visible effects on your skin, particularly to your face, neck, and décolletage, while the rest of your skin appears to age more slowly. A healthy lifestyle along with healthful skin habits and non-invasive face and body treatments can improve the appearance of aging skin. Let’s explore these tips to improve your lifestyle and habits and enhance the beauty of your skin.
- Use Natural Moisturizers – Rather than choosing the latest chemical-laden moisturizers, opt instead for natural moisturizers, like olive, coconut, and avocado oils. These natural oils offers superior hydration as well as a daily dose of antioxidants. Simply massage the natural oils into your skin twice daily to enhance your skin and support its smooth, soft, and supple appearance. Apply the oils not only to your face, but your neck and hands as well to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Don’t Over-Wash – Alongside the use of natural moisturizers, it is important not to over-wash or harshly scrub your skin, your face in particular. Too much washing dries and damages the skin. Always, use your natural moisturizers after washing.
- Eat Healthy and Drink Lots of Water – Choosing fresh, nutritious foods can improve the appearance of your skin and increase your overall health. Select fresh organic produce (enjoy several daily servings) and avoid red meats and processed foods like vegetable oils, white bread, margarine, and sugary items. You’ll want to include lots of water (six to eight glasses a day) to stay hydrated in your diet as well. Choose food packed with nutrients to enhance the production of collagen. For example, add dark, leafy, greens for a dose of antioxidants, beans for hyaluronic acid, fruits for vitamin C to boost collagen, and red veggies and fruits for more antioxidants (lycopene).
- Avoid Smoking, Excessive Drinking, and Too Much Gum Chewing – Smoking drains the skin, negatively affecting the texture and tone, and causes wrinkles to form on the face. In addition, it triggers the production enzymes which undermine elasticity and compresses blood vessels. Drinking in moderation is known to deliver health benefits, but drinking to excess does the opposite, dehydrating the skin, causing a loss of elasticity, which results in wrinkles. Drinking regularly also reduces the level of collagen producing vitamin A in your body. While you may not have suspected it, gum chewing can actually contribute to the development of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Use Sunscreen – The sun is a powerful source of vitamin D, but to avoid sun damage, you will want to apply sunscreen every day if you are outside. Choose a brand with SPF 30 or higher, that offers broad spectrum protection and is water resistant.
- Exercise and Get Plenty of Rest – Exercise is good for the body and will improve your health as well as the condition of your skin. Along with regular exercise, rest is equally important. The proper amount of rest allows your skin to renew and rejuvenate.
- Non-Invasive Treatments – Endermologie® was introduced in 2013 after scientific studies showed its ability to minimize the appearance of fine lines, dark circles, and wrinkles, as well as refresh the skin through the stimulation of blood and lymphatic circulation. The treatment is quick and effective with clients noticing visible improvement (smoother, softer, more toned skin as well as the decreased appearance of fine lines and wrinkles) after only a few 15 minute sessions. The results can also be enhanced with LPG® Cosmetics Tensing Firming Cream Exclusive Age Defying Complex.
To learn more about how to prevent wrinkles and our approach to treating skin, please browse our Endosystems website – Where Beauty Meets Technology.